ELLIOTT CARTER - A LABYRINTH OF TIME
A documentary film by Frank Scheffer
Picture format: NTSC 4:3
Sound format: Dolby Digital 2.0
Region code: 0
Languages: English, French, German, Dutch, Spanish, Japan...展开ese
Running time: 90 minutes
No. of DVDs: 1
Comprehensive 12-page booklet contains authoritative essay, discography, photos and biographies in English
* Elliott Carter represents almost a century of American music history. Throughout the world he is considered as one of the most important contemporary composers, one who finds inspiration in the clash of European tradition and American innovation. The creative period in his life spans more than 70 years and testifies of the composer's extraordinary dedication to the culture of music.
* In A Labyrinth of Time, Frank Scheffer shows Carter's musical development and projects his compositions in time, in a journey led the composer himself. Beautiful pictures of the city of New York, of which Carter is a lifetime citizen, used as a metaphor, help building the juxtaposition of Carter's music and its reflection on our democratic society.
* The film also features interviews with Daniel Barenboim, Charles Rosen and Pierre Boulez.
Accolades afforded to this film include:
- SACEM Award, Classiques en Images 2004.
- Best Documentary Award, Student Prize, Golden Prague Festival 2004.
"Frank Scheffer's 'A Labyrinth of Time', a study of world-renowned American composer Elliott Carter, fascinates as it illuminates." Variety
"Unique insights into the composer's artistic philosophy and character." www.bbc.co.uk